12.10.2007

WAYN

A friend of mine recently sent me an e-vite to joing WAYN (Where Are You Now), a Web 2.0 site which tracks the countries you have been to on trips. Like many other social sites, WAYN allows users to upload profiles and photos. Users can then search for friends who may be on the site, as well as send and receive messages using email, discussion forums, eCards, and WAYN IMing.
One feature I enjoy is the virtual map which allows me to see where each of my contacts is located around the world. It is a great way to keep track of friends while they are traveling. There is also a blog feature that I have yet to explore- I think I need to limit the number of sites where I am blogging, or I would feel compelled to update on several sites!

A little cautionary note, however. The site has taken some criticism for the option of adding friends via your email address book. WAYN then sends out automatic inviations which many view as spam. I have not been able to figure out how to turn this feature off, and all my contacts did in fact receive an e-vite. I am not sure how many of my friends were annoyed by this or not.

No comments: