10.30.2007

Technology and Family Dynamics

So, we had an interesting situation at my house this weekend. We had a main line water back up into the house- wet basement, ruined carpeting and furniture, the whole nine yards. The Roto Rooter guy attempted to open the drain for 5 hours Friday night (which cost the equivalent of a mortgage payment) and was unable to unblock it. They were unable to send out someone with a camera until Monday, so we had to go the entire weekend without water- very difficult to do. The camera guy took a look inside the pipe and ascertained that we needed to have the junction between the city's line and our line replaced- requiring them to dig up the street and lay new pipe- very costly indeed. We were then told we would have to go another day without water. At this point, we had had enough. We checked into a hotel- splurged on a suite- and spent Monday in water-filled splendor. Our room had free WiFi, so I was able to log into my work network and get some stuff done, while Sarah spent the afternoon chatting with friends both here and in Japan. I also had a chance to update this blog, and fix the coding that messed up my widgets when using Firefox.
But what was interesting to me was the communication dynamics between my daughter and myself during that time. We set up our laptops with our backs to each other and even though we were in the same room together all day, did very little real speaking. We spent more time talking to others- me emailing and IMing work, and her on Skype with international friends. This is kind of becoming the norm for us. In fact, one day we were testing Skype in anticipation of having to use it when she goes on her 2-month Japan extended stay, and we were talking over Skype to each other while in the same room, sitting not more than 10 feet from each other.
When I think of how much technology has created changes in the way people communicate with each other, it is amazing. But, are we losing something in the process? 15 years ago, we would not have had laptops and wireless connections, and would have spent the day hanging out together, talking and enjoying each other's company. All of our gadgets just affords us a way to be "always on" and not be in the moment with the person we are with.
I remember, as a child, sitting on my grandparent's back porch on a warm summer evening, just watching the sun set and chatting lazily. Now, I would probably view doing that as "wasting time" that could be better spent on the internet getting some work done. That is a sad commentary indeed.

No comments: