9.22.2007

Writing from Days Past

The following is an excerpt from a short multigenre piece I wrote in 2004 titled, "The Promise of Gold":

Well… I says to Da and Mam.
What is the ‘well’? Da says to me. He is smiling.
The ‘well’ is…I have a great mind to go to America.
The smile leaves my father’s face.
Aunt Peg has sent me a letter with an American Ticket, and she says I can get work there for two dollars a week, I say. Two dollars! Just think, Da, I can save and send for Colm in just a few years, you and Mam as well.
I want to go to ‘Merica, too, Da! says Colm.
I see the look on Da’s face, like a thundercloud.
You know there is nothing in Ireland for me, Da, I say. ‘Tis best I go.
Well, fly away at once, says Da. Away with you over the sea and ‘tis sure you will find the gold on the streets.
Da turns away.

No comments: