8.05.2008

Long, long, time ago

It has been a very long time indeed since I have updated this blog. Since my last post, I have been trying to get back into some normalcy without classes two nights a week and weekends spent writing papers. It has been 6 long years since I have not had a class!

I thought that when I finished my bachelor's and my master's I would have all kinds of time to get things done. What has happened in 8 months- where has the time gone, and what exactly have I accomplished? Well, let's see...

I started working on my house, room by room. We moved in almost 10 years ago now, and have done relatively little with the place. A fresh coat of paint in some of the rooms, new fixtures in the bathroom. And then the great remodel just stalled out. I found I didn't have the extra income to put into the house- there was school to pay for (mine and my daughter's) and lots of major home repair- repair, mind you, not renovation. That is what happens when you buy a house that is 60 years old!

I had lots of great plans for this place- a new bathroom in the basement, new carpet, refinished hardwood floors. Instead, I ended up with a new furnace, water heater, central air, and main sewer line. For what it cost to get all those repairs done, I easily could have had my downstairs bathroom.

But, now school is done, and I have been spending some time (and considerable bucks) on finally starting the things I wanted to do for the last 10 years. I bought all new appliances- lovely stainless steel- for the kitchen, and a new washer and dryer. A couple of weeks ago we got a new area rug for the dining room. We pulled up all the old perennials in the flower gardens and planted fresh ones.

There is still plenty to do. A driveway sealcoat is next on the agenda. Maybe soon our tired old homestead will look young and fresh again.

No comments: